Saturday, October 30, 2010

Plans

Big Sigh!  Reality has set in!  After pondering (I do like to ponder) the past couple of weeks' events, I have come to accept that I'm probably not going to be fired (see previous days' blogs for more details on that). Also, after more discussions with the hubby, who was kind enough to not actively hyperventilate when the topic of my becoming a stay-at-home mom first came up, we've decided that this needs to be a process rather than an event.  That's actually kind of a relief.  I can't even say that I'm actively disappointed right now, I'm pretty sure that I knew, deep down, that this wasn't going to happen overnight!  I do think it can happen though!

One of the big deterrents right now is honestly just too much debt!  We are in the process of paying this down, and are actually making some headway.  I wish that it wasn't such a slow process, but it just is.  It would go faster if the kids would quit growing out of their clothes, the vehicle never needed maintenance or repairs and large appliances never died, but alas, that is a fairy-tale land that we just don't live in.  Of course, I can't even freely complain about any of those seemingly money-sucking things. We have been blessed with so many things, and really want for nothing.  We have all come to accept the relatively simple life that we lead.  Even the kids are good about not wanting, out loud anyway, crazy things.  We all know Christmas is going to be a simple affair, and I think we're all okay with that.  We cherish the decorations, traditions and the time with family and friends, and that makes Christmas special for us.

So, I have come to terms with the fact that I must keep on keeping on.  I have to say, one the many blessings that we can claim is my job.  I do have a lot of freedom at work, and while I can't come and go as I please, I do have a lot of latitude with my time.  I can leave early, and take vacation days off for all of the important stuff, and I really do work with a pretty good group of people.  My husband's job is a blessing as well.  It's close to home, so though he rides to work with a coworker most of the time, he can walk if he needs to.  This works out really well since we only have one vehicle. 

People look at us like we're out of our minds for having one vehicle, but we have done this for five or six years, and it really hasn't been an issue at all!  Besides the lack of a second loan payment, we have saved money on gas and maintenance and repairs.  This has been a big help to us in our quest to pay off the debt.  I think that having only one vehicle has been an issue for us about five or six times over the course of time.  Quite honestly, the issues that we did have were easily solved.

We do dream about having a second vehicle one day.  My husband would like to go back to school for his teaching degree, and I can see where the vehicle needs may overlap there.  Mostly though, we would like one for fun and convenience.  When there's a foot of snow on the ground, and his ride to work calls off, I'm sure he would appreciate not walking to work!  He would like a convertible, and I want something that will handle well when the roads are bad.  We've agreed, and the kids love the idea, on a Jeep.  Of course, that's another future goal.  No debt first!

So here I am, back from my jaunt out of reality.  I'm ok with that though.  Now I just have to find a few more hours in my day to fit everything in.  We're starting to be more active in our church, and of course, the holidays are coming up.  I know we're going to have to be choosy about the activities that we take part in so that we don't overdo it.  All in all, we need to remember to seek God's will and keep everything balanced in our lives. 

Here's a couple of verses that are on my mind today:

Matthew 6:33 - "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Phillipians 2:13 - "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure."

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment